History

Mayo Bridge (1893)

May 16, 2024

From The City on the James – Richmond, Virginia edited by Andrew Morrison, George W. Engelhardt, Publisher

Hull Street (1961)

May 11, 2024

3217 Hull Street VIA Adolph B Rice Studio Collection at the Library of Virginia

Richmond (1906)

Apr 14, 2024

Map of the city of Richmond showing corporation lines as established Dec. 6, 1906. Manchester was still an independent city, Forest Hill Park was the…

Ruffin Road Elementary

Apr 10, 2024

The standalone building that was Ruffin Road Elementary was built in 1965 in what was then Chesterfield County. The property, still owned by the Richmond…

Midlothian Turnpike (1989)

Apr 7, 2024

The same but different. Top is Midlothian and Arcadia, 2nd is from Agency and Midlothian (the former BEST building), third is from Labrook Drive and…

The oldest frame house in Richmond

Apr 4, 2024 2

Built in the late 1750s, the Patteson-Schutte House at 5613 Kildare Drive is believed to be Richmond’s oldest frame house. The Old Stone House in…

Brookside (circa 1893)

Mar 25, 2024

After John Cullen Robertson (one of the original owner-developers of the Forest Hill streetcar line) died in 1922, his widow, deGraffenried “Graffie” Taylor Robertson, demolished…

Model Tobacco (undated)

Mar 15, 2024

“Model Tobacco Factory, Petersburg Pike (U.S. Route No. 1), Richmond, Va.” via James Branch Cabell Library – Special Collections and Archives . Reverse of the…

Stratford Hills (1954)

Mar 9, 2024 1

This great video from VDOT has an early pic of Stratford Hills: In November 1954, new signs and pavement markings had just been installed to…

Richmond’s worst year?

Mar 4, 2024

Richmond bottomed out in 1994: one city council representative went off to rehab for his heroin problem and another was in hot water for not…

214 Cowardin Ave (1955)

Mar 3, 2024

Advertisement in the Summer 1955 issue of University of Richmond Magazine Now the home of United Nations Church.

Mastodon